CSA Physio Blog

5 Steps to Get the Treatment You Need Following a Motor Vehicle Accident

Posted on: July 30th, 2018 by Emily Behnke

Motor Vehicle Accident InjuriesA motor vehicle accident (MVA) can be challenging and stressful. It is easy to become overwhelmed dealing with insurance adjusters, arranging vehicle repairs, and thinking about the financial strain – not to mention the emotional and physical pain.

Fortunately, help is available. If you follow these basic steps, seeking treatment will give you the pain relief and support you need while minimizing added stress!

1. Open an MVA claim

Contact your motor vehicle insurance company to open an Accident Benefits claim. Keep in mind that this is different than a claim to deal with the damage to your vehicle and you will have a separate adjuster.

Insider Tip: The insurance company for the vehicle you were in at the time of the accident is responsible for payment of your treatment. If there are multiple passengers, all will be represented under the same claim.

2. Fill out AB-1

Complete a Notice of Loss and Proof of Claim Form (AB-1) and send it to your adjuster within 10 days from the date of your accident.

Insider Tip: This is a standard form that you can download from the Internet, get from your insurer, or complete at your local physiotherapy clinic. We will even proofread and send it for you!

3. Get assessed if you are injured

Schedule an assessment with a physiotherapist (or other primary health practitioner) as soon as possible. Your physiotherapist will prepare a Treatment Plan (AB-2) and send it to your adjuster.

Insider Tip: You may also want to schedule an appointment with your family doctor to document your injuries. Although not required, this can provide significant clarity of your case later in the claims process if needed.

4. Know your rights!

Under the Diagnostic and Treatment Protocols, most cases are entitled to a fixed number of treatments to be complete within 90 days of the date of your MVA. Your motor vehicle insurance company is first payer and your health practitioner can direct bill for all of your treatments. Once you are outside of the protocols you are still entitled to treatment deemed medically necessary under Section B benefits. These benefits are included in every auto insurance policy and may cover you for up to 2 years from the date of your MVA. At this point, your extended health benefits become first payer and your motor vehicle insurance company becomes second payer.

Insider Tip: If you do not have access to extended health benefits (or if they are exhausted), ask your clinic about direct billing options to save you from having to pay out of pocket and submit for reimbursement on your own. As an added bonus, our clinic can also direct bill most major extended health carriers!

5. Use your coverage to get betterWhiplash, MVA

Supplement your treatment with items that can assist in the healing process. You are entitled to $120 – $160 of sundries depending on the diagnosis of your injuries.

Insider Tip: Ask your physiotherapist for suggestions. Typical items used to assist in your recovery include hot and cold packs, trigger point release tools, and neck and back supports. Our clinic supplies many of the items that you will need for your recovery and can take care of the billing.

Keep in mind that your motor vehicle insurance company cannot deny you treatment recommended by your primary health practitioner. Complete the necessary paperwork, maintain detailed records, and follow the treatment recommendations from your healthcare practitioner – and you have the recipe for a hassle-free claim!

And remember – you are not alone. Our clinic will be there to help every step along the way.



For more information, you can visit the following Alberta Treasury Board and Finance insurance websites:




The information contained in this blog only relates to an MVA occurring in the province of Alberta.

Please note this blog is intended for informational purposes and should not be seen as any kind of advice, such as professional, medical, legal, health, financial, or emotional advice. This blog contains the opinions of the writer and does not reflect the opinions of any organizations that may be affiliated. The information presented is accurate and true to the best of the writer’s knowledge, but there may be omissions, errors, or mistakes. Please consult a professional before taking any action.

South Edmonton

10947 – 23 Avenue
Edmonton , AB
T6J 7B9

Tel: 780-988-5803
Fax: 780-988-5804

Email: CSASouth@lifemark.ca

Grandin Plaza

#508, 1 Tache Street
St. Albert, AB
T8N 1B4

Tel: 780-458-0255
Fax: 780-460-9796

Email: CSAGrandin@lifemark.ca

51st Avenue

10393-51 Avenue
Edmonton, AB
T6H 0K4

Tel: 780-989-9789
Fax: 780-989-9788

Email: CSA51Avenue@lifemark.ca

Back to top

COVID-19 Update: Rehabilitation services are available in person or by virtual care.

+ +